Tips on reading to children, vocabulary building and a description of the parent's shelf
- Help Children Build Strong Language Skills
- Tips to work with your child to build a strong vocabulary and other language skills from the experts at Scholastic.
- Ways to Read to Children
- Things to do before, during and after reading a book to your child.
- Meaningful Writing Experiences
- Reading and writing go hand in hand. Help your child with writing by providing opportunities to practice writing skills.
- Reading Bright Start
- A website devoted to helping parents raise readers from birth to school age.
- Raise Kids who love to read with this up-to-date list of recommendations from birth to teen.
- Iowa's Early Childhood Parent Web Site
- This Web site was created to provide FREE objective, medically accurate early care, health, and education information for families in Iowa. Topics include child care, health and safety, child development, learning to read and write, parenting, pregnancy, and many others.
- Raising Readers In Story County
- Raising Readers is a Story County organization that serves families with children ages birth to eight years. They are committed to helping the next generation become better readers, communicators, and learners. Visit their website to for tips and to download free activity sheets.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten and we'll make sure your kiddo receives the recognition she/he deserves! Sign up on our program page.