Bylaws for Cambridge Memorial Library
I. Name and Purpose
- The Cambridge Memorial Library Board of Trustees hereafter referred to as the Board.
- The Board will comply with the Code of Iowa in all questions of library law and governance and will further comply with the regulations set forth in the city’s library ordinance. The Board’s specific powers and duties are set forth in the library ordinance.
II. Board Meetings
- The Board shall meet on the second Monday of every month except December, at 7p.m. in the library.
- A quorum shall consist of 3 members (from its total of 5 trustee members).
- The Board shall comply with Iowa’s Open Meetings law by printing and publicly posting a copy of its agenda 24 hours prior to the meeting.
- The Board shall record its proceedings as minutes and shall keep copies of the minutes available for public inspection.
- The Director of the Cambridge Memorial Library shall be present and participating at each meeting of the Board.
- The Board will conduct its meeting according to parliamentary procedure as detailed in the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Officers shall be the Board president, treasurer, and secretary and shall be elected as an opening is available.
- The President shall preside at all meetings and generally performs all duties associated with the office. In the absence of the president, the Secretary shall assume the president’s duties. The Secretary shall record all proceedings of the Board. The Treasurer shall record all credits, debits, donations and pay all debits through the Library bank account.
IV. Major Functions
- Set policies for the Library’s operation and services.
- Engage in planning for the Library’s future.
- Ensure library director and staff participation in training and continuing education.
- Participate in Board training and educational opportunities.
- Ensure the Library’s involvement in State Library and Library Service Area initiatives.
These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Board with a quorum present, by a unanimous vote of the members present.