In early 1945, a group of Cambridge residents formed a committee to establish a local library. After several meetings and much brainstorming, it was decided to house the library in the north room of the opera house. The American Legion members, who owned the opera house building, generously donated the north room free of charge with the stipulation it would always be a public library.
The library was named Cambridge Memorial Library in honor of the local men and women who served during World War II. Sixty-plus years later, the original placard listing the names of the community members that served is still hanging on the wall.
While the library is housed in the same location, currently sharing the building with the American Legion and the House of Knowledge, many things have changed through the years. There are now children’s books and activities, more space has been donated by the American Legion for activities and storage, movies and computers are available for patron use, a new front entrance has been added and a beautiful mural has been painted on the north exterior wall.
It is hoped the Cambridge Memorial Library will be here for many more years to come.
Interested in more local history? Check out the Cambridge Historical Association.